For my final Masters (Commerce/Sustainable Practice) Essay, I'm looking at the media and what influence it has on driving sustainable consumption behaviour.As an industry, the media is driven my the sale of advertising, which in turn relies on the sale of products (or services).
For the purposes of this essay, I'm positing that the simplest of sustainable consumption behaviour is buying less.
- How then, can an industry that is dependent on people buying more, support or encourage the reverse?
- How does the current business model for the media industry limit our shift to more sustainable levels of consumption?
- What impact will the shift to online or independent media have?
- How does the social responsibility of the media play a role here?
- Does social responsibility exist in the media?
- What does this look like in Australia/elsewhere?
More to come.